We are pleased to report that Google has begun rolling out the latest bug fix update for the original Android Superphone, the Google Nexus One. The update takes the Google Nexus One up to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread, and is primarily aimed at addressing issues to do with the voice search functionality. When the update was originally rolled out a few weeks ago it caused problems with Wi-Fi and USB tethering, resulting in it quickly being pulled form the OTA servers by Google.
A few weeks later all the bugs appear to have been ironed out, with several Google Nexus One owners reporting that the update has now gone live OTA. When we say all the bugs that never end up being the case, as it now appears that there is an issue with the new update that causes problems with the pinch-to-zoom functionality. Whilst this may not be a big issue for some it does seem rather ironic that an update that is purely aimed at bug fixes and security patches has caused a completely different bug to arise.
If you’ve not heard of the Nexus One before, it is basically a HTC Desire dressed in Google clothing, although it runs a Vanilla flavor of Android so there is no fancy UI like HTC Sense installed in the stock ROM from Google. It is great to see Google keeping one of their original Nexus smartphones up to date, at least whilst the 1 GHz Qualcomm CPU can keep up with the OS. If you have not received the update and would like to get it installed on your Nexus One, please follow these easy steps:
Menu > settings > about phone > check for updates
As always make sure you back up all important data on your device before flashing any updates, and be sure to drop a comment letting us know how you go!
- Samsung Nexus S 4G GWK74 Android 2.3.7 Update Rolling Out Now Includes Security Patches And Google Wallet App
- Android 2.3.5 GRJ90 Update For Sprint Nexus S 4G Now Live On the Google Servers
- Sprint Rolling Out Nexus S 4G Android 2.3.5 Update With WiMAX Speed Improvements On July 25th
- Google Nexus One 2.3.6 (GRK39F) Update Is Live Now – Manually Update 2.3.6 (GRK39F) From 2.3.4 (GRJ22)
- Sprint Nexus S 4G To Get Android 2.3.5 Software Update From Next Monday